If you want to build a strong body structure, you have to concentrate more on the bone and muscle development by prioritizing some key nutrients that include calcium and vitamin D. Food high in calcium is a must for the good growth of bone.
Health benefits of calcium:
Calcium is beneficial in every age of life – like in infant days, it is necessary for bone and teeth growth; in teenage, good for bone growth and in old age the intake of calcium is very crucial to retain the strength of bone for long. In any way, you are not supposed to reduce the intake of calcium-rich food products or calcium food sources. As per the reports, women who take low-calorie foods to get slim figure are probably at the risk of low calcium in the body.
Amount of calcium intake:
The amount of calcium intake should be varied according to the age of the person like adults up to age 50 should get 1,000 milligrams of calcium and 200 international units (IUs) of vitamin D a day. Adults over 50 should take 1,200 milligrams of calcium and 400 to 600 IU of vitamin D. Calcium occupies 2% part of our body weight. It deposits in bones and teeth in high volumes. That’s why calcium rich food for strong bones is essential to take. Here are some benefits of calcium that our body receives:
• Gives strength to bones
Calcium keeps the bones strong, healthy and in proper shape. It maximizes the bone density and bone strength and helps you prevent bone related problems like arthritis and osteoporosis.
• Manages body weight
Calcium intake prevents obesity because calcium demolishes parathyroid hormone which is developed by our body in the absence of calcium. Therefore, the higher amount of calcium helps you control obesity.
• Lowers risk of hypertension
Studies reveal that increment in calcium will decrease the risk of hypertension. The patients of high blood pressure are recommended to take more calcium rich foods.
• Prevents colorectal cancer
Studies suggest that the intake of calcium food sources and supplemental calcium will decrease the risk of colon cancer. Those who take 700 to 800 mg calcium a day have a 40% – 50% fewer chances of developing colon cancer.
• Protect cardiac muscles
Calcium protects heart muscles; it helps to work heart muscles contract and function properly. This mineral also helps nervous system to maintain pressure in arteries for proper functioning.
• Prevents kidney stones
Consumption of foods high in calcium significantly prevents you from kidney stones.
• Keeps healthy teeth and gums
Intake of calcium rich food products is required for tight jaw bones which keep your teeth and gums strong and free from harmful bacteria. In that way, calcium keeps you away from the dentist.
• Helps in the transportation of nutrients
Calcium plays a vital role in the healthy human diet. It helps to move the nutrients across cell membranes, so your body gets a proper and balanced development.
In this way, calcium-rich diet is very important for everyone. Now let’s have a look at some calcium food sources and vitamin D which are required for our body growth and keep us healthy and fit.
- Yogurt: A cup of yogurt a day is a good source of calcium and vitamin D required by the body, it contains almost 30% of calcium and 20 % of vitamin D.
- Milk: Milk is the most essential and an excellent source of calcium. One glass of milk everyday caters 30% requirement of calcium in the body.
- Cheese:A set of dice of cheese contains 30% of daily calcium.
- Sardines: This fish is rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- Eggs: Egg yolk is rich in Vitamin D, so you can take it on the regular basis.
- Spinach: One cup of cooked spinach not only contains 25% of daily Calcium but also contains other nutrients like fiber, iron and vitamin A.
- Collard greens: Like spinach, collard also contains more than 25% of calcium in one cup.
- Vitamins and minerals: Food high in calcium is not only required for strong bones, but some other nutrients are also recommended to take all along.
For healthy bones, you should also take magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin K rich food products.
Weak bones are fractured easily. Calcium is one of the most important minerals that experts recommended for growth and development of bones and teeth.
You are also advised to avoid caffeine, alcohol, an excess of salts and high intake of steroid drugs for the health of bones and muscles. Calcium food sources are not hard to find, and you can adjust your daily meal to ensure that daily requirements of calcium are fulfilled. So, always try to eat healthy and balanced diet and go for daily exercise to keep your bones healthy, strong and in shape.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- 7 Ways to Treat Acid Reflux - October 16, 2017
- 5 Ways to Diagnose a Food Allergy - October 11, 2017
- 4 Acid Reflux Medications: Which One Is Best For You? - October 6, 2017