If you are looking to increase male fertility, sperm health depends on several factors, including the quantity of sperm, its structure and movement.
The quantity of sperm – Your chances to be fertile increases if the semen discharged contains minimum 15 million sperm per millilitre. If the sperm count is less then it lowers the chances of pregnancy.
Movement – to fertilize an egg, it is necessary for sperm to move through the cervix, uterus and fallopian tubes of a woman. A male is likely to be fertile if at least 40 percent of his sperms are moving.
Structure – A typical sperm has an oval head and a long tail that helps it to swim forward. While this may not be as important a factor, the greater the numbers of sperms you have with a normal structure, greater are the chances of you being fertile.
There are several reasons that can lead to male fertility issues such as sperm transport issues, testicular disease, problems in the hypothalamus. Another major factor is age. The amount of sperm and its ability to move decreases with age. This has an effect on male fertility. Several studies have shown that it can be difficult for men in their mid 30s and 40s to impregnate their partners than younger men.
Also Read: How to tackle infertility
How to increase sperm count?
Here are some ways to enhance your chances of producing sperms.
• Stay fit – It has been seen that the heavier a person weighs, the lower is the sperm movement and sperm count. It is, therefore, essential to maintain a healthy weight and be lean to have a good sperm count.
• Healthy diet – Include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. These contain plenty of antioxidants and are important for your sperm health.
• Prevent sexually transmitted diseases – These infections are one of the major reasons for male infertility. You can avoid this by restricting the number of sexual partners and by using a condom each time you have sex.
• Reduce stress – Stress can wreck havoc on your sexual function and fertility. It can impair the ability of the hormones to release sperms. Practising Yoga, breathing techniques and meditation help lower the stress levels in the body and thereby help increase male fertility.
• Be active – Being physically active can help improve the levels of antioxidant enzymes. This can help to protect sperm.
• Stop smoking – It has been seen that smokers have reduced sperm count. Smoking has also been seen to restrict sperm movement. If you are a smoker, take steps to quit the habit.
• Reduce your alcohol intake – If you engage in heavy drinking, it can cause a dip in the production of testosterone and reduced sperm count. If you want to drink, it is best to engage in moderate drinking.
• Medications – Certain medications including anti-androgens, channel blockers and antidepressants can lead to fertility issues in men. Consult your doctor to check if your medicines are causing the decrease in sperm production. You can ask him or her to prescribe other medicines or consider revising the dosage of the same.
• Cancer treatments – Radiation therapy and chemotherapy can hamper the production of sperm and lead to infertility, which may be permanent. Talk to your doctor to learn about the impact of the medications on your fertility.
• Limit exposure to toxins – Exposure to lead, pesticides and harmful toxins can have an effect on the quality and quantity of sperm. If you have to work with toxic substances, it is important that you have protective equipment in place to avoid direct contact with chemicals and other toxins.
• Stay in cooler places – High scrotal temperature can disturb sperm production. Avoid scrotum exposure to the laptop and wear loose fitting underwear to avoid any decrease in sperm production.
Following these healthy lifestyle practices can help increase male fertility. If you and your partner have not been able to achieve pregnancy even after one year of unprotected sex, it is best to consult your doctor and get checked for infertility. A fertility expert may be able to find out the cause of the problem and offer the right treatment to help you and your partner to conceive.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- Tips to Balance Your Hormones to Get Rid of Acne - March 12, 2019
- Connection between Oily Skin & Acne - March 6, 2019
- Know these Few Reasons If Eyelashes Are Falling Out - March 4, 2019