Staying hydrated is of utmost important for good health. Many people often underestimate the importance of water for the body. Even getting enough water is very essential during we play, travel or sit beneath the sun. The hydrated body makes the heart pump blood through blood vessels to the muscles. Also, it helps muscles to remove waste so that it works efficiently. On the other hand, dehydration leads to problems like swollen feet or headache to life threatening conditions such as heat stroke.
Want to have healthier or glowing skin, healthier teeth, healthier joints and a healthy digestive system? Then you must stay hydrated and consider best food items which could hydrate your body.
Best hydrating foods for body
As we know juices are also good for hydration, but similarly they are also quite high in calories and low in fiber. Experts recommend that one should limit juices and instead rely on consuming whole fresh fruits and vegetables. There is enough of water content in most varieties of veggies including starchy vegetables like potatoes. For best hydration, examples include grapefruits, strawberries, tomatoes, cauliflower and broccoli consisting about more than 90% of water. Also one could enjoy all the benefits of fruits and vegetables in a drink by making a smoothie with blending low fat milk or water along with several fruits and vegetables.
Also read: Make yourself Healthy with a Vegan diet
Given below is a list of certain fruits and vegetables which could offer the best hydrating effects after its consumption.
- Cucumber- Looking for best hydrating food, cucumber tops the list consisting about 95% water content. Having a cup of cucumber slices is as refreshing as a glass of water. They also provide fiber and vitamin C which is about 6 percent of the daily value per cup. For extra hydrating power, you could further try blending it with nonfat yogurt and ice cubes which would make a delicious cucumber soup. Soup is quite good for hydration, whereas chilled soup has always been refreshing and tasty throughout the year.
- Peaches- If you wonder which fruit you should consider for good hydration, then peaches would be a right choice. They are an excellent source of vitamin A and potassium. Also peaches contain about 88% of water content which makes it a perfect fruit to beat dehydration. A fruit which is easy to find, having the most delicious taste and perfectly sweet as when our body needs it the most.
- Strawberries- After long running or exercise, feeling hot or dehydrated; you should avoid sweets and snack on fresh strawberries. Having 92% water content and fully packed with vitamin C, folic acid, potassium and fiber. Strawberry tastes great and are naturally sweet, further it replaces craving for any artificial flavored juice or snacks.
- Watermelon- Watermelon is all time favorite to beat the heat during summer season. Much more hydrating than any sports drink, watermelon consists of about 92% of water content. It is loaded with vitamin A and C, sodium, calcium and potassium which makes it a good choice for dehydration. You could also make your own juice with this fruit, or use it as a snack or in the form of delicious dessert anytime.
Also read: Watermelon: A Healthy Summer Fruit
- Lettuce- Green leafy vegetables provide many benefits for overall body. Similarly, greener lettuce offers many nutrients and lighter lettuce like iceberg lettuce has approximately 95% of water. So, this makes it a great choice, giving best hydrating benefits against dehydration. When the temperature gets high, you could prepare a simple and easy salad as lettuce is a good source of vitamin C, folic acid, and beta-carotene. In short, to keep yourself cool and hydrated in the process, you must start consuming lettuce from today itself.
- Celery- Celery is another great vegetable containing potassium and lower levels of sodium. Also is known as a great diuretic. Instead of taking any pills to lose weight, celery largely helps to regulate the balance of fluid in the body by enhancing the speed at which body produces urine which means one could easily lose water weight by consuming celery. So, in simple words celery is a great food consisting about 96% water and helps to regulate different body parts. Celeries could be easily found in any supermarket and works as a good snack after exercise or a long day in the sun.