If you are a diabetic, in many ways, your diet is your medicine. This article will help patients understand what food choices are best to avoid. We take a look at such five types of food that should exclude in the foods to avoid list by every person with diabetes.
For people with type 2 diabetes, keep a close eye on your diet becomes more than just a focus on health and wellness; it’s a matter of life death. Foods packed with high levels of sugars and starches can cause sickness that results in a trip to the hospital and if left unchecked, potential death.
Type 2 Diabetes and its prevalence
Type 2 diabetes is a metabolic disease in which diet plays an important role along with the intake of diabetes medicine such as Januvia 100 mg tablet generic in the management of the disorder. While some foods are known to help lower the risk of diabetes and help blood glucose level to reduce to an appropriate level, other foods can worsen the symptoms and medical complications associated with it. The list of worst foods includes heavily processed foods that are high in sugar, fat, and sodium.
According to research data, it is estimated that around 29.1 million Americans have diabetes and around 8.1 million are undiagnosed. It is believed that around one-third of diagnosed diabetes cases occur in people over the age of 65. However, the metabolic disorder is also one of then commonly occurred chronic disease among children in America.
List of worst foods for diabetes
- Added sugars and sweetened drinks- Since the metabolic disorder is characterized by abnormally raise glucose levels in the blood, it is necessary to avoid those foods that cause dangerously high spikes in the blood glucose levels. These foods are primarily defined processed foods such as sweetened drinks. Beverages like fruit juices and soda entirely lack plant fiber that would act to slow the glucose absorption into the bloodstream. The same thing happens with desserts (pastries, cakes) and other sugary processed foods, which have similar effects. These processed food items are believed to promote hyperglycemia as well as insulin resistance and encourage the formation of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) in the body. AGEs change the normal function of cellular proteins, hardened the blood vessels, and promote complications associated with diabetes.
- Fried Foods-Fried foods such as French fries, potato chips, and doughnuts might be your favorite foods, but the fact is these foods items are considered as high glycemic food, a huge number of low nutrient calories in the form of cooking oil is added into these fried foods. The combination of oil and the glycemic carb is believed to stimulate fat storage hormone. Furthermore, fried foods contain AGEs that results in diabetes complications.
- Refined Grains-Refined carbohydrates like white rice and other flour products such as white bread and white pasta lack fiber from the original grain, so they tend to elevate sugar level faster. In a six-year of a research study, it was revealed that 65000 women who were on refined carbohydrate diet were 2.4 times more likely to diagnose with the metabolic disease called Type 2 diabetes.
- Red and processed meats-Many people with diabetes believe that if added sugars, refined carbs, and other high glycemic foods, elevated glucose and triglyceride levels in the blood, they should avoid eating such foods and start including more animal protein in their diet to keep an appropriate level of blood glucose. The analysis of twelve research studies revealed that high intake of meat was likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes by 17%, high red meat intake increases the risk by 21%, and high processed meat intake increases the risk of diabetes by 41%.
- Trans Fats-Foods made with low-quality ingredients, and high concentration of preservatives such as cookies, bread, and pastries are a strong dietary risk factor for heart disease. Since a large number of diabetes patients die from cardiovascular disease, foods associated with cardiovascular risk will be especially harmful to people with diabetes. However, there are many medicines available to manage diabetes. One such medicine is Januvia sitagliptin 100mg. It is extremely effective in reducing the blood glucose levels in patients with this chronic metabolic disorder.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- Top 9 Reasons for Hair Loss in Women - July 13, 2018
- Progynova for Menopause Relief - July 9, 2018
- Careprost Eye Drops – The Ultimate Formula for Eyelash Growth - July 7, 2018