We all know that bones are the support system of our body. Therefore, it is very important that we should try to keep them strong and healthy all the time. There are many ways through which we can keep them (bones) healthy and strong. Exercising regularly and eating properly balanced food are one of the good habits for taking care of bone health in the right manner.
Eating right and proper food for healthy bones majorly includes the consumption of sufficient quantity of Vitamin D and calcium. Calcium is a mineral that is essential for the proper functioning of our body and Vitamin D is important as it helps to absorb the calcium.
Also Read: The Health Benefits of Vinegar
Lack of these two nutrients lead to brittle and fragile bones and are more prone to various diseases and fractures. In this article, you can find the foods that can harm your bone health. Proper foods play a vital role in order to keep our bones healthy and strong.
Best Foods for Healthy Bones:
Here we have compiled a list of super foods for you, which will help you to keep the bones healthy and also help to increase the bone mass. The foods for healthy bones are listed as follows:
- Dark and leafy greens
Dark and leafy green vegetables like kale, arugula, and watercress are some of the best sources of calcium.
- Almond butter:
Almond butter is not only a rich source of calcium, but it is also high in protein with no cholesterol and less fat content.
Cheese is made from milk and it is quite a known fact that milk has loads of calcium. Therefore, cheese too comes high in calcium.
Yogurt is one of the age-old culinary products. Because of the preparation process of yogurt, it has comparatively more calcium than milk.
Vitamins are essential for healthy bones; either you take it in a natural way or in form of supplements. Eggs contain a good amount of Vitamin D which helps to maintain healthy bones.
It is not only good for bone health but also, is an excellent source of fiber, Vitamin C and other nutrients that are full of anti-cancer properties.
- Milk: Milk is known as the best food for bones. Loaded with calcium and vitamins, it makes our bones strong and healthy.
Foods that can harm your Bone Health:
We often talk about the foods that are good for our bone health. But there are certain foods those can make our bones weaker. Below is a list of some foods that compromise calcium absorption and weaken our bones.
- Salt: Most of the people eat too much salt. Excessive salt robs the calcium from our bones which we need to keep them healthy. If you eat processed foods, you may know that they are enriched with sodium, and that is a reason why we’re told to avoid eating them.
- Oxalates: Oxalates are present in things like spinach, beet greens, and some beans. If your food is high in oxalates, you won’t be able to absorb calcium well, so don’t care to count the calcium content in these if you are having them.
- Phytate: Phytates are similar to oxalates in that they impede the absorption of calcium from our body, causing the bones to release calcium into our urine. Wheat bran and beans are two forms of high-phytate foods.
- Alcohol: Too much consumption of alcohol is bad for your bones. Alcohol may also make you more susceptible to falling.
- Caffeine: Drinks that contain caffeine, like tea, coffee and sodas also inhibit your body’s ability to absorb calcium, so try to avoid these drinks as much as you can.
- Soft drinks: Many soft drinks and other carbonated soft drinks contain phosphoric acid, which may lead to a bone loss because it’s said that too much phosphorus is bad for our bones.
- Sugary Snacks: It’s very important to remind yourself not to go overboard on sugar.
- Inflammatory Foods: Nightshade vegetables, such as peppers, white potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, and eggplant can cause bone inflammation, which may lead to osteoporosis.
- Red Meat: Consuming too much animal protein also can leach calcium from your bones.
Also Read: Healthy Foods for Healthy Pregnancy
Consuming fruitful bone vitamins and certain medication can keep your bones healthy.