In today’s fast moving and high technology world, people are more conscious about their body, which includes their appearance, height, weight and most importantly their waistline. A fit body is what we all pine for.
Detailing belly fat:
Doctors have given a term for big waistline, like if the fat has settled on the buttocks and thighs then you have a pear shape, and if your fat is mostly on waistline an apple shape. The main concern is a big waistline that puts you at increased risk for many health problems like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and stroke. These fats are termed as Belly fat (visceral fat), which is a very serious and alarming condition.
It has been mentioned in various researches that for women, a waist measurement of 35 inches or more indicates an unhealthy concentration of belly fat and for men, a waist measurement of 40 inches or more is a matter of concern. If the waist measurement crosses the above mentioned lines, then it may put both men and women at greater risk of problems such as heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.
It is a fact that everyone has some belly fat, even people with flat abs and it is normal. Fats that are stored under the skin, particularly around the heart, lungs, liver, and other organs, are very harmful because the fats do not find any other place to store. These fats can only be visible by scans or MRI imaging.
Related: 9 Ways to Boost your Metabolism
Ways to reduce belly fat:
There are various ways that help in reducing belly fat which include exercise, diet, sleep, and stress management. It’s a fact, as we start losing weight we tend to lose total body fat including visceral fat.
Exercises to lose belly fat:
People involved in weight loss have a perception that calories are the main culprits. They think that burning more calories helps them in losing their weight and intake of more calories means weight gain. Their perception is only partly true because the body adapts to the changes it undergoes and losing weight without exercise increases the risk of losing lean body mass, which lowers the metabolism and putting the body into fat-storing mode. So, to lose weight fast and belly fat, below are various helpful and effective exercises:
- The elbow plank- Get into the position for doing push ups. Rest yourself on your elbows and look downwards. Try to pull your abdominal muscles tight. While doing this exercise, your bottom should be down and back straight. Hold this position for at least 30 seconds. Moreover, remember to breathe but don’t allow your stomach or lower back to drop.
- Start with the bicycle exercise- To start losing belly fat, you must have a set target in your mind. Doing this exercise, first you have to get into a supine position with hands at the back of your head. Then, you have to bring your knees to the chest along with lifting your shoulders off the floor. After this, you have to slowly bring your right elbow towards your left knee and keep your right leg straight. Switch sides and continue in a pedalling motion. Repeat this exercise 12 to 14 times in 3 sets.
- The basic crunch- Crunches are the best and effective way of losing belly fat. Crunches are best at flattening your abs. To perform crunches, you just need to lie on your back and bend your knees, keeping your feet flat on the floor. You have to lift your shoulders off from the ground, draw your navel in by keeping your hands horizontally behind your head by exhaling. Breathing process is very important in this exercise, you have to exhale when off from the ground and inhale when through the ground and repeat the process for 60 seconds.
- Long arm crunch- This type of crunch exercise is a traditional floor crunch where the arms are held straight behind you. To perform this exercise, you just need to lie down on the floor or a mat, then extend arms straight behind you, keeping them close to the ears. Now, slowly contract your abs and abdomen and lift shoulders off the floor carefully to keep the arms straight. Try to repeat this exercise 12 to 16 times.
- Ramp up the cardio- Aerobic exercises are very important for heart pumping and burning calories quickly. Vigorous cardio sessions help the person in losing his/her overall weight, including belly fat.
Diets to lose belly fat:
Diet is very important in losing any type of fat or reducing your overall weight. Proper intake of fats and calories along with exercises may help you cut down your belly fat, these include:
- Oatmeal- Oats are the best breakfast meal. Having high fiber intake, tehy fill your stomach for hours and helps in lessening your total food intake.
- Almonds and nuts- Say yes to nuts because these make you slim by keeping your tummy full for a longer period of time. Try to have 24 almonds a day to satisfy your hunger pangs without overloading on calories.
- Plant based fruits and veggies- Emphasize more on plant based fruits, vegetables and whole grains because these help in keeping full for a longer time and also restricts your consumption of fried and oily foods.
- Avocado and apples- These are magic fruits due to their rich nutrient intake. Due to the high fiber content and other benefits, these help keep hunger at bay and the presence of monounsaturated fatty acids helps to burn belly fat easily.
- Eggs- Eggs contain vitamin B12, which helps in metabolizing the body fat. A study conducted by an American university states that people who ate eggs for breakfast every day lost more weight than those who ate bagels.
- Lean meats and fish- Stick to lean meats because the body burns more calories digesting protein in comparison to carbohydrates or fats. Fish and turkey can be incorporated in your meals. Tuna and salmon are the fishes that are full of omega-3s fatty acids, which are fabulous as diet foods. Related: Green Tea: Amazing Health benefits You Never Knew About!
Sleep is essential for everyone, even for those who do not want to shed extra pounds. 6 to 7 hours of sleep per night is effective in gaining less visceral fat as compared to those who slept 5 hours or fewer hours or 8 or more hours per night. So, try to manage your sleep routine properly, if you seriously want to shed your belly fat.
Be free from Stress:
Stress is like a bunch of many diseases that seriously impact your daily lefestyle. Yoga, taking part in sports activities and other medications may leave you healthier and better prepared to make good choices for yourself.
Also Read: How to lose 30 pounds faster
If you find this blog helpful, do share it on other social pages. Also, post comments in case you have any health queries.
Get regular health tips and remedies on your Facebook feed.